Pages

Friday, June 27, 2014

Music Moment: Sam Smith

Unless you live under a rock, chances are you've heard of the out-of-nowhere pop-soul artist, Sam Smith. Or, as I like to call him, the male (and better, in my opinion) version of Adele.

Smith has recently released his first album, In the Lonely Hour, and a lot of buzz has surrounded him. He's famous for his heart-wrenching ballad about the pain and loneliness involved in having a one night stand, called "Stay With Me", but I'm of the opinion that some of his other songs are in desperate need of a spotlight as well. And so, without further ado....


  • "I've Told You Now": Easily in my top three from this album. It starts off slow and bitter, and then grows into a passionate and frustrated song about being in love and spending so much energy on pursuing a relationship and having it all ultimately be futile. So stunning. And his falsetto.... Perfection.

  • "Like I Can": Dare I say it, my favorite song from the album. You can try not to sing along, but I can guarantee you'll fail. Such a catchy, heartfelt song, and I predict this song becomes popular in the future.

  • "Leave Your Lover": Oh, gosh, the yearning in this song is tangible. We've all been there...wanting that special someone to realize his or her significant other is inadequate and hope that they see that all along, he or she belonged with you. Why am I getting some Taylor Swift vibes...?

  • "I'm Not the Only One": Sad. Passionate. Conflicted. A beautiful addition to a beautiful album. 

All in all, I'd have to say my Top 5 from the album would have to be (and this is a tentative order, because tastes shift):

1. Like I Can
2. Stay With Me
3. I've Told You Now
4. I'm Not the Only One
5. Leave Your Lover

(Runners-Up include "Money on My Mind", "Not in That Way", and "Life Support")

I highly recommend this album for anyone who wants a little music to make them feel something again. Yeah, a lot of it is mellow and bittersweet, but it's beautiful, and what more can you ask for from a freshman album?

RATING: 5/5...possibly a 6/5 

~ Lacey :)




No comments:

Post a Comment