Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Quote of the Day: Ernest Hemingway

For today's quote I'd like to introduce you to Mr. Ernest Hemingway. He's a renowned author, and although unfortunately I can't tell you I've read any of his books, I can tell you that he comes highly recommended by my book savvy father. Hemingway is actually his favorite author, so my dad probably won't let me graduate high school without reading some of his work.

One of his little drops of wisdom rang particularly true for me:

"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed."

The thing about this quote is that it is just so, so, so true. I love writing. In fact, it is above all the number one thing that I know I have some degree of talent in that I wouldn't mind doing for the rest of my life. But writing involves a certain self-sacrifice. It doesn't matter whether it's fiction or non-fiction or poetry or whatever. True writing is emptying the contents of your soul onto a blank page and then veiling that unadulterated emotion behind words so that you don't scar your readers with the pure intensity of what's in your heart. Love, pain, hate, anger, joy....they're all a part of the human experience, a part of each and every one of us. Writing conveys that. Writing connects the author and the reader and it lets them know they're not alone. Writing, by this rationale, might possibly the most personal and intimate form of communication that the world has to offer.

And also, I think it'd be really, really cool to have a typewriter.

Food for thought.

~ Lacey

No comments:

Post a Comment