Pages

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Music Moment: James Vincent McMorrow

I won't lie. I get quite sucked into mainstream music all the time. I've been a die hard Taylor Swift fan since her very first single Tim McGraw popped up, and I've been known to jam out to virtually anything my local Top Hits radio station has to offer: Britney Spears, One Direction, Selena Gomez, Lil Wayne...you name it.

But I also like to think of myself as an old soul. And I think one of my dearest musical obsessions, James Vincent McMorrow, taps right into that ancient part of me.



I don't have one singular album to recommend, although Early in the Morning is the one with the most songs, so I'd go with that. Personally, I don't own the entire album, but I'm considering doing the whole Complete My Album thing on iTunes because I've yet to find a song of his that I don't immediately love or have it not grow on me.


McMorrow's genre is labeled as Singer/Songwriter and sometimes Alternative on iTunes, but that's not very accurate. He reminds me a little bit of an older, rougher, and if possible, more poetic Ed Sheeran (whom I also harbor a deep love for). His songs are generally soft, whisper-y, and so lyrically and instrumentally beautiful that they've moved something deep within me.

If I had to recommend just a few of his songs, they'd be We Don't Eat, If I Had a Boat, Ghosts, Higher Love, and Wicked Game. He has also sung a song under the band name Japanese Popstars called Shells of Silver, which is just fantastic. All are slow and rhythmic. If you're looking for something to pump you up for the big game, this is definitely not your guy. But if you want something to calm you down and speak directly to your soul, this is it.

He may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I kind of like that about him. His music speaks to me, and that's all that I care about.

I hope that maybe, he speaks to you, too.

~ Lacey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment