Pages

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Reading Rendezvous: Thirteen Reasons Why

Normally, when someone gives me a book, I feel obliged to read it almost instantly so as to somehow let them know how grateful I was to receive something as personal as a novel for a gift. When I was gifted City of Bones by Cassandra Clare, I attacked it immediately and finished it within the week. When someone bought me a copy of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, I absorbed it in about three days.

But when I received Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher for my fifteenth birthday, I hesitated. I'm not sure why I did, but something about the ominous cover and cryptic back summary made me put it away and read something that had a cover which promised a bright, happy ending.

Recently, while I was looking through my decently large pile of unread books, I found this book and figured it was time to tackle it. Without looking up what the book was about to refresh my memory or asking any of my friends if they remembered reading it, I flopped down on my bed and opened it up.

And now I know why I waited so long.



Thirteen Reasons Why is a dark, introspective novel about the worst several hours of a boy named Clay Jensen's life. He receives an odd package of audiotapes on his doorstep, and when he plays the first one he's shocked to find it is the voice of Hannah Baker. Which might not be the strangest thing in the world, except for the fact that Hannah Baker killed herself.

The tapes tell her tale, each side of each tape directed towards the thirteen people who played large parts in Hannah's decision to end her own life. We hear the heartbreaking tale of how so many little things that don't seem to mean anything individually can add up to destroy a person, and we hear all this through the voice of the dead girl and the horrified Clay, who doesn't understand what he could have done to Hannah that was so bad.

What's crazy is that even though from page one it is quite plain that Hannah is very much so dead, one can't help but want to save her as she weaves her tale. The desire to reach out and tell her everything is going to be alright is so painful because it's impossible, and we get that feeling both from Clay's reactions and within our own hearts. Which I'm sure is exactly what Asher was aiming for.

This book is exactly what it sounds like--hard to read, emotionally devastating, and a genuine tear-jerker. There are very few parts of this book that make you want to smile or laugh. But at the same time, I'd recommend it to everyone, because the message is important: Everything you do affects someone in ways you will never understand, and there are always going to be consequences for your actions.

It's sad, and dark, and eye-opening, and beautifully written. Asher's writing is very comparable to that of John Green (The Fault in Our Stars) and Stephen Chbosky (The Perks of Being a Wallflower).

I recommend it to everyone inside the parameters I will lay out below, but I also follow that with a warning: prepare for tears and lots of soul searching, because I know it made me cry and think...have I done something to make someone feel like Hannah did?

SUGGESTED AGE OF READER: 14-15 (for some sexual material and drug/alcohol references)
MY PERSONAL RATING: 5/5 stars

~ Lacey :)


No comments:

Post a Comment